1. Skip to main content
  2. Skip to left side bar
  3. Skip to right side bar
  4. Skip to footer

Help with fees

Here are some organisations that may be able to help you with grants or loans to help fund your training. 

Professional and Career Development Loans 

Professional and Career Development Loans are bank loans to pay for courses and training that help with your career or help get you into work. You may be able to borrow between £300 and £10,000. Loans are usually offered at a reduced interest rate and the government pays interest while you’re studying. 

Family Action Educational Grants Programme 

Family Action distributes grants up to a maximum of £300 to pay for ‘additional’ costs associated with a further education course. The programme helps individuals over the age of 14 to begin their studies as well as supporting existing students to continue and complete their studies.  

Student Loans Company 

The Student Loans Company is a non-profit making, government-owned, organisation which provides loans and grants to students in universities and colleges in the UK.

The types and amounts of student finance you’ll receive will depend on where you live. See also:
Student Finance Wales 
Student Finance NI  
Student Awards Agency Scotland 

University and college hardship funds

You may be able to get extra money from your university or college if you’re experiencing financial hardship. Contact your student service department or see the gov.uk website Extra money to pay for university for further information. 

Self Finance

 Increasingly, trainees have to finance themselves using their own funds, or borrowing from friends, relatives or the bank. This is risky, as finding employment as a counsellor after training cannot be guaranteed. If you’re in this situation it may be safer to consider taking a part time course that allows you to continue working while you are training.