The Finance and Policy Committee holds delegated responsibility for developing our financial strategy.
- review income and expenditure
- review budget performance
- oversee investment and capital expenditure
- approve and review investment policy and performance
- approve and review reserves policy and performance
- ensure we have appropriate insurance policies
The committee will have up to seven members, recruited by the Chair who may be a BACP or lay (non-BACP) member. Each committee member will have one equal vote.
Term of office
Committee members are appointed for up to three years. This may be extended for a further three years.
You must attend four committee meetings a year, always before our Board meetings, and at other times as required.
You'll also be expected to commit any additional time necessary to satisfactorily perform the duties of sitting on a governance committee.
Carrying out the role
You'll be expected to:
- attend committee meetings fully prepared to participate and ensure key decisions are reached, having read up all the information sent out
- participate in the committee’s performance review, and work with BACP staff to develop the committee's skills set
- attend BACP events, including the AGM, to promote and support the work of the committee and answer any questions members may have
- maintain absolute confidentiality of any sensitive and confidential information you receive
- always act in the best interests of BACP to support our charitable aims and achieve our strategic objectives
- comply with the committee's current terms of reference
- observe the code of conduct, policies and procedures as they relate to volunteers
- uphold the seven principles of the Charity Governance Code:
- organisational purpose
- decision making, risk and control
- board effectiveness
- openness and accountability
Skills and abilities
- have an accounting or financial degree or professional qualification, or an understanding of financial management
- understand investments and investment portfolios
- understand central services, operations and HR
- have sound financial and business acumen, applied within a governance environment
- be willing to devote time and effort
- have good, independent judgement
- understand the responsibilities of the position
Knowledge and experience of the third sector would be an advantage but is not essential.
You don't have to be a BACP member to apply. Members who are currently under investigation, or sanction, through our professional conduct procedure cannot apply.
There is no remuneration for this role, however we will reimburse reasonable expenses incurred in carrying out the role in line with our volunteers expenses policy.
Any other remuneration is subject to Charity Commission guidelines and approval of the Board of Governors.
Please email your CV and a detailed application letter to the Governance team at email@example.com. Or you can send it by post to BACP, BACP House, 15 St. John’s Business Park, Lutterworth, Leicestershire LE17 4HB.
For more information about the role, email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01455 883311.