Are you a therapist/counsellor who works with young people presenting with suicidal ideation and behaviours via synchronous text-based interventions?
Do you want to share your insights and experiences and contribute to a research project that aims to understand the role of practitioners in creating a facilitative therapeutic relationship with this population by using texts only?
If yes, then I invite you to participate in my research project!
My name is H.L. Laura He and I am a MA student at the University of Roehampton. I am conducting a qualitative study on the skills and strategies of practitioners who use text-based interventions (IM) with young people at risk of suicidality. I want to explore how therapists/counsellors establish rapport, express empathy, and facilitate change through instant text messaging (live chat). I also want to explore the experiences of therapists and learn about the benefits and/or challenges of using this mode of communication.
To participate in this study, you need to meet the following criteria:
- You are a qualified and registered or accredited therapist/counsellor with one of the professional bodies in the UK such as BACP, UKCP or ACP…etc.
- You have had a minimum of five years of experience in using text-based interventions with young people (aged 10-19) who experience suicidal thoughts and behaviours.
- You are willing to share your insights and reflections on your practice in a one-to-one online interview that lasts about 45-60 minutes.
- You have access to a personal computer and Zoom Meetings.
- You are able to provide informed consent and adhere to ethical guidelines.
It will be a plus if the participant has had experiences working with both types of intervention, the conventional face-to-face therapy, and the online text-based intervention with suicidal youth, but this is not an essential requirement.
Interview questions will be emailed to you in advance of the interview. All personal information and data will be kept confidential and anonymised.
If you are interested in participating or want to know more about the study, please contact Laura He at email@example.com. I look forward to hearing from you and learning from your valuable expertise!
Thank you for considering taking part!