The idea of integrating coaching into counselling practice is becoming increasingly popular. Where counselling is traditionally seen as therapeutic, working towards resolving emotional conflict, coaching focuses on behavioural change - with an emphasis on forward development. An approach which enables a practitioner to do both with our clients equips us with a wider range of tools, offering a more holistic way of working.
This professional development day gives participants the opportunity to consider how they might use coaching within a counselling setting in a coherent and informed way. It provides an overview of key integration models for participants to consider in the context of their own work, in order to help identify their own preferences for continued development. It also facilitates a discussion how we might practically approach integration within client sessions.
This workshop is split into three 45 minute sessions and each will be followed by a live Q&A session with Judith. The first session will begin at 9.30am and the event will finish 1.00pm with an extended Q&A session.
If you are unable to attend live on the day, you will have access to the on-demand service for four weeks after the date of the event if you book on, until Tuesday 30th November 2021.
Judith Plastow is an Integrative Counsellor and Coach. Following twenty years as a senior manager in the media industry, Judith retrained and set up the Co-Thinking Company, based on her first-hand observations of the changing needs of effective people-development in business. Her work focuses on driving employee performance through building self-confidence; enabling clients to have a more positive relationship with themselves. Judith is also a part time lecturer at the University of East London teaching on the PG Diploma in Integrative Counselling and Coaching.
The main aims of the PDD is to
- What? – Definitions appraising both similarities and differences between coaching and counselling
- Why? - Explore the benefits of integrating coaching into counselling
- How? – Review options for integration. An introduction to key theoretical models/types of how this can be done: eclecticism, single theoretical framework, fixed and open system integrations with a more in depth examination of Popovic and Jink’s Personal Consultancy framework.
- The Pitfalls - Consider potential difficulties of integration and how to navigate them (ethics)
By the end of the PDD, you will
- Better understand the value coaching can bring to your counselling work
- Be more informed of the different ways you can approach integration as a practitioner and how you might do this both ethically and effectively
- Consider your own preferences regarding integration for further exploration, with a view to identifying a plan for further personal development
This PDD is relevant to
Counsellors with a knowledge of coaching who would like to explore options for developing their integrated coach-therapist practice. It will also appeal to counsellors interested in exploring the benefits of adding coaching to their practice. Some knowledge of coaching would be useful, but not essential.
Please book your place online. If you book, you will receive information on how to join the live event a couple of days before.