This workshop will provide strategies that therapists can use with adults and young people to manage risk safely and effectively, through presentation and individual exercises.
Your booking includes:
- 3 hours of CPD presentations including 3 modules presented by Katherine Caffrey discussing our own beliefs around suicide and self-harm, raising awareness of the law, risk assessment, the when and how of breaking confidentiality, safety plans, self-awareness and self-care.
- opportunities for networking with other members using live chat
- dedicated live Q&A sessions after each module where you have the chance to ask any questions from each module
- an on-demand service so you can catch up on the modules and Q&A sessions. View the content an unlimited number of times, 24 hours a day for 30 days
- a CPD certificate download
- selected presentation slides
About the presenter
Katherine Caffrey: from a background in secondary education Kath retrained to be a qualified counsellor, and in addition a clinical supervisor. She gained experience working as a counsellor for many years in a high school in Cheshire and at Liverpool University counselling service. In both environments she worked with a range of presentations often including suicidal ideation and self-harm. She also works for the Charlie Waller Memorial Trust as a trainer improving mental health provision in schools and colleges. She went on to develop and provide training for well-being, working with suicide and risk, and specialised training for counsellors who want to work with children.
The main aims of the PDD are to:
- understand our own experience and beliefs around suicide and self-harm and raise awareness of the law, and the facts and figures around suicide
- understand risk assessment strategies – the importance of asking the right questions in the right way
- breaking confidentiality – be more confident in when and how
- safety plans: look at the benefits and potential pitfalls of safety planning
- self-care of the therapist when working with risk
Who is this event for?
All counsellors and psychotherapists who are currently working with clients who may present with suicidal ideation or self-harm. This course is about practical ways of working with this client group and looking after both the client and therapist.
By the end of the PDD, participants will be able to:
- work more confidently with different forms of risk
- be more confident in assessing risk
- know how and when to break confidentiality when a client is at risk
- understand how and when to create a safety plan with a client
- recognise the need for self-care of the therapist
This workshop is split into three 45 minute sessions and each will be followed by a live Q&A session with Kath Caffrey. The first session will begin at 09:30am and the event will finish at 1:00pm, please click the link below to view the programme.
This Professional Development Day will take place online.
Please click the log in and add to cart button to book your place online. Joining instructions will be sent approximately 2 days prior to the event.
The on demand service will be available for four weeks after the event, ending on Friday 9 February 2024.