Our online therapist directory has been redesigned to make it easier for clients to find the right counselling professional for them.
For members, it's simpler to create, update and add additional directory listings.
To create a new listing
Go to your account dashboard
- Log in
(or you can click on Log in on the top right hand corner of any page on the website).
- Enter your email address and password
Your email address needs to be the one we have on record. If you can't remember the email address you gave us, please contact us.
If you can't remember your password, click on Forgotten your password and follow the instructions.
- Once you're logged in, the Log in link in the top right hand of the screen will be replaced by a My account link.
- Click on My account to access your account dashboard.
Update your details
If this is the first time you've logged into your account, you'll need to check and update your personal details.
- Click on Edit personal details
Here you can add your profile photo, website address and any languages you speak. These will appear on all your directory listings.
- When you've finished, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Save.
Create or edit your listing
You can find your directory listings by scrolling to the bottom of your personal details or by clicking Edit directory listing from your account dashboard.
- Click on Add a new listing to create an entry
- Or, click on edit next to the listing you'd like to edit
- Complete all the sections on the page - see the tips below on improving your listing
- When you've finished, click on Save and submit to send your entry to us for approval and publishing.
- If this is your first entry, you'll now be taken to a payment screen where you can pay your directory subscription
We’ll email you as soon as we’ve approved and published your listing. We aim to do this within two working days.
Improving your listing
The photo that appears on the listing is the profile photo that you upload to your personal details.
Use a portrait style photo of your head and shoulders against a plain background. Avoid unnecessary distractions such as other people, pets or drinks. Don’t use logos.
Generally, people like to see a photo of the counsellor they’ll be contacting. A photo makes your entry look more professional and friendly and is likely to lead to more people clicking through. Keep it clear and simple to appeal to a wider audience.
The name on your directory entry is the same as on the BACP Register and your personal details. Keeping your name consistent makes sure that people can easily identify you as a registered counselling professional. It is also best practice, followed by other membership organisations.
If you want to use a short or informal form of your name, such as Cathy instead of Catherine, we can update your details. But this change will apply to your entire membership account, so your ‘informal’ name will also appear on any letters and emails we send you and on the BACP Register.
To change your first name, just send us an email so we’ve got a record of your request. You’ll still need to send supporting evidence, such as a marriage certificate, if you want to change your surname.
We’ve temporarily removed qualifications from all directory listings due to an issue with how they display. We still have any qualification information you’ve provided, which you can see in your personal details, it just won’t appear on your listing.
We’re working on fixing the problem but, in the meantime, you can list any qualifications you want to appear in the About me section.
Enter details of any languages you speak in your personal details. This is particularly important if you speak a language that is not widely spoken in the UK. It could set you apart from other counselling professionals working in the same area.
You can use a different address for each of your directory listings (your subscription entitles you to six separate listings). So when people search by location, your listing will appear in all the different places you work.
Make sure your full postcode is accurate. Although it’s not displayed on your listing, the system uses it to precisely locate you so your listing appears correctly when people search by location.
Hourly rate and working hours
This information does not currently appear on your listing.
About me and my therapy practice
This section is very important because the first few lines appear in the search results, so people using the directory will see them straight away. It’s where you can talk about how you work in a more informal way and let people know what to expect from you.
Put yourself in the position of someone looking for help and think about what you would want to know in that situation. Avoid using specialist counselling terms that a member of the public might not understand.
How you can help
Here you can highlight the problems you can help with, the types of therapy you use, who you work with and how you deliver therapy.
Viewers can filter their search results to choose counsellors who specialise in a particular area or use their preferred type of therapy, so make sure you select all the areas that apply to you.
The new directory is still in its early stages and we'll be continuing to develop and improve it over the coming months. Planned improvements include:
- improvements to your account area: a more comprehensive ‘dashboard’ to give you more information about your membership and directory listing and make it easier to update your listing
- better differentiation of accredited and senior accredited members: your logo will appear within the search results so clients can immediately see your accredited status
- more contact options: add additional phone numbers and links to your social media accounts
- tweaks to search results: we’ll be using the latest SEO (search engine optimisation) techniques to make our pages more prominent and easy to find in web searches
- reports: we’ll be adding analytics so you can see how many people have viewed your listing and get personalised tips on improving your listing
Please let us know what you think about the new directory, and what you would like for your listing in terms of content, design or functionality.