- Phone number
- 07434 433194
- Flexible hours available
- Concessionary rates
About me and my therapy practice
Currently taking on new clients via Zoom or Telephone
Experienced and Accredited counsellor with 12 years post-qualification experience.
Work both privately and with a number of Employee Assistance Programmes offering workplace counselling
Deciding to come to counselling is definitely the first step. It can be a tough decision though! Finding the right therapist for you can feel like a huge challenge. It's good to think about how much experience your counsellor has, have they worked in private practice for many years or are they fresh off a training course? I have over 12 years of post-qualification experience, this makes a difference to what I can offer.
I work both indoors and out! I work from a log cabin in my garden and also offer walking therapy.
Coping with the pressures of life can feel overwhelming at times and can leave you feeling there's no time or space left for yourself. It can become hard to function on a day to day basis and you may begin to feel a loss of control. This could be due to:
work stress or redundancy
loss or bereavement
symptoms of anxiety, depression, lack of motivation
past issues that repeatedly return and affect how we feel
You may feel burdened, lacking in energy and out of your depth. This is the time to get some support. Counselling can help you to look at things differently and to identify what needs to change. It can enable you to make informed choices and regain the balance.
Being in nature can help us to connect with ourselves in a very different way to being in a room. It is more immediate and can highlight themes we may otherwise be unaware of, such as change, life cycles, loss and renewal. Working outdoors might involve walking, exploring an area or sitting in one place. For some people this is a less intense experience which may suit their need.
Training, Qualifications and Experience
- BTEC Professional Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling, 2007 and a BA (Honours) degree in Sociology and Psychology.
- Certificate in Environmentally Based Therapy completed in 2018 training in therapeutic work outdoors plus 100 hours study time.
- Additional training in other models including Transactional Analysis and CBT.
I have worked independently as a counsellor since 2010.
I have twelve years of qualified experience in a variety of settings. These include:
- An NHS Service offering brief therapy for depression, anxiety and other issues
- for Employee Assistance Providers (EAPs) focusing on work-related issues
- education – working with children and families in schools
- bereavement services
- sexual abuse / violence services
- women’s centre
- GP practice – primary care mental health service
- University student / staff counselling service
- independent service for military families
- worked in mental health services for ten years, including working with young people on a rehabilitation ward in a private psychiatric hospital, in residential community support for people with severe and enduring mental health problems and as a mental health advocate for Craven advocacy.
I offer confidential counselling and work to the guidelines of the Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy. I access counselling supervision in line with BACP guidelines via an external supervisor; your identity will be kept in confidence.
My first session
I usually suggest an initial session in which we can meet, sit down and see what it might be like for us to work together. I can tell you more about how I work and you can tell me about what you are looking for in a counsellor. Finding someone you can build a safe working relationship with is paramount and the quality of the relationship is the most important indicator for therapy to be beneficial. After the session, you are welcome to consider how it felt for you and then let me know what you wish to do. This is of course a mutual process and if I felt we weren't suited to working together I would discuss this with you. If we both feel we are suited we can look at focusing upon the work together.
Sessions are 50 minutes and charged at £50.00
What I can help with
Abuse, Anger management, Anxiety, Bereavement, Child related issues, Depression, Health related issues, Identity issues, Infertility, Loss, Personal development, Pregnancy related issues, Redundancy, Relationships, Self esteem, Sexuality, Spirituality, Stress, Women's issues, Work related issues
Types of therapy
Brief therapy, Humanistic, Integrative, Person centred
Clients I work with
Adults, EAP, Older adults, Organisations, Trainee
How I deliver therapy
Long-term face-to-face work, Online counselling, Short-term face-to-face work, Telephone counselling, Time-limited