HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) allows you to claim tax relief on professional subscriptions or fees which you have to pay to carry out your work. This includes your BACP membership fees.

If you’re a basic rate UK tax payer, you may be eligible to claim 20% relief against your annual income tax bill. This increases to 40% if you’re a higher rate tax payer.

Do you qualify?

To claim tax relief:

  • you must be a UK tax payer
  • your membership fees must be paid by you and not by your employer (or claimed back through them)
  • your membership must directly relate to your job

How to claim

You can make your claim as part of your annual personal tax return. 

If you don’t complete a personal tax return, you'll need to contact HMRC.

If you want to check how much you've paid, you can find your BACP membership invoices under My invoices and receipts in your account area of this website.

For further information

To find out if you qualify and how to make a claim see the website or contact HMRC directly.

BACP cannot claim tax relief on your behalf or provide advice about tax relief.