What is the BACP Register
The BACP Register is a public record of counsellors and psychotherapists who meet or exceed our recommended minimum quality standards. These standards cover training, supervision, continuing professional development and a contractual commitment to our Ethical Framework.
It was the first psychological therapists' register to be accredited under the Professional Standards Authority's accredited register programme. This government-backed scheme aims to protect the public by helping them to choose health and care professionals who are competent and trustworthy.
Benefits of registered membership
All your existing individual member benefits plus:
To become a registered member, you must:
- already be an individual member of BACP
- currently be in practice, or have practised within the last three years
You must also either:
- have successfully completed and graduated from a BACP accredited course
- have passed our Certificate of Proficiency
As a member of BACP, you are bound by our Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions and our Professional Conduct Procedure. You had to read and agree to these as part of your original membership application.
You should also read our Membership policies and protocols.
As a registered member, you must agree to the terms and conditions of the BACP Register. You'll have to recommit to these every year when you renew your membership. They include:
- ensuring that you have adequate supervision in place
- keeping your knowledge and skills up-to-date through continuing professional development (CPD)
- recording all your CPD activities on the mandatory template
- having adequate, current and ongoing professional indemnity insurance
- providing evidence of your supervision, CPD and insurance for audit, if asked to do so
If you meet the requirements, you can join the Register now by logging into your account and completing the terms and conditions.
Membership subscriptions run for a year and are reviewed annually.
If you’re receiving certain state benefits or have no personal income, you may be entitled to pay a reduced fee. You will need to select this option when you renew online. See our Reduced fee policy.
How to renew, reinstate or change your membership
BACP Register Certificate of Proficiency
Find out about the BACP Certificate of Proficiency and how to book your assessment.
BACP Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists
The BACP Register is a public record of therapists who meet our standards for registration.
Find out about BACP accreditation, what you need and how to apply for accredited membership.