- Phone number
- 07957 228868
- Flexible hours available
- Concessionary rates
I work Monday to Friday, starting at 8am with the last session being at 8pm.
I am not available to work at weekends.
About me and my therapy practice
- Many people experience emotional distress in their lives, maybe because of a difficult childhood, past or recent traumas, or current problems affecting daily life.
- You may be feeling depressed, stressed or anxious, feel that you are in crisis or that life has lost meaning for you. You may be faced with important decisions, know that you want to make changes but are not quite sure how to go about this. Sometimes it’s your relationships, perhaps with partner, family, friends or work colleagues, which are causing unhappiness.
- My aim is to work together to see how the past is impacting on your present, affecting the way you think and behave now. You will be supported to make changes in the present, explore what your life’s meaning might be, unblock your creativity, and grow and develop to achieve your potential.
- Couples often come to therapy when they feel they have grown apart, when there is a building resentment causing arguments, or after a life event such as the birth of a child or the death of a parent. My aim in couples work is to be able to identify the more painful and vulnerable feelings below any anger and resentment, to help the couple re-connect and make any necessary adjustments to their relationship together.
- We do practical exercise around communication while also looking at what experiences and expectations might be being brought into the relationship from childhood, which then affects how each of the couple make attachments in the present.
- This can be extremely helpful in understanding how each person is likely to respond to the other, particularly under stress, so we can see what belongs to the past and what needs to be adjusted for the present.
I see individual adults for either long term or short term counselling and therapy, depending on the needs of the client. The sessions are 50 minutes long and the fee is £55 per session.
Short term, or time limited, counselling would be for 12 sessions. Longer term therapy would be for 6 months or longer.
I also see couples for couples counselling and this can be for long or short term, depending on the needs of the couple. The sessions are 50 minutes long and the fee is £70 for the couple.
I can also see clients through their medical insurance e.g. AXA.
I am currently only working online via Zoom, VSee or Skype, or by telephone. Once the pandemic lockdown is lifted, I will also be able to see clients in person at my consulting practice in St Leonards on Sea.
My first session
I often suggest you use the first session to see what it feels like to work with me, for you to then decide if you would like to continue working with me on a regular basis.
This first session is important in hearing from you what is happening in your life now and how it is making you feel, so what has drawn you to contacting a counsellor. It's important to know what you would like to get from counselling, and to discuss the practical details around cost, length of time etc.
I will also ask you for an overview of your life e.g. who the important people are, what the important events have been, about any illness or accidents, loss or bereavements, how you are able to soothe or calm yourself when distressed, and what your relationship is like to food, alcohol etc. It's important for me to establish whether you are at risk in any way, from yourself or from anyone else, to help us work together to keep you safe during your counselling.
With a couple, I ask each person to talk about how they feel in the relationship, what they feel the problems might be, and what they hope to get from the counselling. We also establish ground rules around not interrupting, no abusive language, and that I cannot see either individually as we are working with their relationship and how they interact with each other, rather than with each separately.
What I can help with
Abuse, AIDS/HIV, Anger management, Anxiety, Bereavement, Child related issues, Cultural issues, Depression, Health related issues, Identity issues, Infertility, Loss, Obsessions, Personal development, Post-traumatic stress, Pregnancy related issues, Redundancy, Relationships, Self esteem, Self-harm, Sex-related issues, Sexual identity, Sexuality, Spirituality, Stress, Trauma, Women's issues, Work related issues
Types of therapy
Humanistic, Integrative, Person centred, Phenomenological, Psychodynamic, Relational, Transpersonal
Clients I work with
Adults, Couples, EAP, Older adults, Trainee
How I deliver therapy
Long-term face-to-face work, Online counselling, Short-term face-to-face work, Telephone counselling, Time-limited