- Phone number
- Flexible hours available
- Concessionary rates
I have good daytime and evening availability and flexibility.
I currently offer sessions on Zoom, telephone, Walk and Talk therapy and am aiming to begin offering a blended approach of these and face to face sessions as Covid restriction easing stabilises.
About me and my therapy practice
- From my own life,training, counselling and groupwork I have a deep compassion and understanding that underpins my work supporting people experiencing emotional distress and suffering.
- I am an integrative and holistic practitioner. I draw on many approaches offering what can best support my client’s work in that moment.
- The core qualities of acceptance, compassion, empathy and congruence are the foundation of my work. I offer a relationship where trust can arise aiming for each client to grow their self confidence, self esteem, inner resources and strengths.
- I have also worked for 25 years as a massage therapist. This has given me deep understanding of how the body responds to the sort of stresses that bring people into therapy.
- For anything I might offer to try in therapy, it is always the clients choice to accept or not.
- I can also offer creative therapy such as journaling and art work if this may be helpful .
- I know from my own life how much courage it takes for a person to decide to try therapy.
- The beginning part of counselling is so important for the feelings of support, sharing and trust to arise for the client. My work is to be present and aware and skillfully develop understanding of my clients world.
- Many different circumstances bring a person to start therapy and sometimes it isn't so clear. A profound sense of unhappiness may be the starting point. Whatever the beginning the work will be to explore together and find the best ways to bring about the arising of the client's own insights.
- Along with our common humanity we are all unique people.I hold this awareness in my work.
- I work holistically - feelings, thoughts, senses, mind, physicality, culture, habits, family history and circumstance are all influencing every moment. Some of the therapy can explore the influences of some of these things .
- I have additional skills from massage and groupwork. I have taught anxiety management, stress management and relaxation for 20 years and the breathwork and other exercises can be very helpful for managing strong difficult feelings. I can also teach mindfulness .
- I can work with creative methods too if the client is interested. I begin a course to work with trauma and creative approaches in the Autumn.
- I have worked for a cancer support centre in Edinburgh as a therapist for 9 years and have a lot of experience working with people facing this kind of stress.
- I have worked with people of diverse cultures since 1990 .I have a depth of understanding about the ways culture affects values, beliefs and expression of feelings.
My first session
The first session is free, a 30 mins space to meet and for me to learn what has made you think counselling may be right for you now and for you to meet me and ask questions and get an idea of how I work.
At present this takes place on Zoom or a telephone call. As things stabilise re Covid restriction easing I will offer in person meeting.
In this session I offer a reflective confidential safe space for us to explore together what is concerning and affecting you. i will explain more about my background and how I work.
I will tell you about the contract we form if you decide to go ahead. the contract includes detailing how we meet, where we meet, how often, the fee, the confidentiality policy, the cancellation policy etc.
I am a Registered BACP therapist and work to their Code of Ethics.
What I can help with
Abuse, Addictions, AIDS/HIV, Anxiety, Bereavement, Cancer, Chronic fatigue syndrome / ME, Cultural issues, Depression, Disability, Health related issues, Identity issues, Life coaching, Loss, Personal development, Phobias, Post-traumatic stress, Self esteem, Self-harm, Sexual identity, Sexuality, Spirituality, Trauma, Women's issues
Types of therapy
Brief therapy, Creative therapy, Eclectic, Existential, Humanistic, Integrative, Person centred, Play therapy, Psychodynamic, Transpersonal
Clients I work with
Adults, EAP, Groups, Older adults, Organisations, Young people
How I deliver therapy
Long-term face-to-face work, Online counselling, Short-term face-to-face work, Telephone counselling, Time-limited