We deal with two types of complaint.
Complaints about a therapist
Complaints relating to poor or unethical practice by a BACP member are subject to our Professional Conduct Procedure.
If you have any concerns about your therapist or your therapy, please contact our Ask Kathleen service. This is a confidential service which can answer any questions you may have and offer guidance on what to do next.
Complaints about BACP
Complaints about the service you have received from BACP, or about any of our products or policies, are dealt with under our BACP complaints process.
Our complaints policy
- provide a fair, clear and simple complaints procedure for anyone wishing to make a complaint
- publicise our complaints procedure so that people know how to make a complaint
- make sure all complaints are investigated fairly and promptly
- make sure that complaints are resolved, wherever possible, and that relationships are repaired
- gather information which helps us to improve what we do
We will handle all complaint information sensitively. We’ll only tell those that need to know and will follow any relevant data protection requirements.
How to make a complaint
Before making a complaint, you may find it useful to read through our Ethical Framework or Membership policies and associated documents. These may help explain why we have acted in a particular way or made a certain decision.
Please discuss any concerns directly with the department involved first. If you are still unhappy and wish to make a formal complaint, please email the Customer Services Manager at email@example.com.
If you prefer, you can send your complaint by post to BACP, 15 St John's Business Park, Lutterworth LE17 4HB.
What happens next?
We’ll acknowledge receipt of your complaint within five working days. We’ll also tell you the name of the person responsible for investigating your complaint.
We try to resolve all complaints as quickly as possible. To help us, we may want to talk things through with you so we get a better understanding of the issues. If possible, please let us have a contact telephone number and, if necessary, we will arrange a convenient time to call you.
We aim to complete our investigation and contact you with details of our findings within 28 days. This may take longer in complex cases but we’ll keep you updated at all times.
- We receive your formal written complaint
- We'll acknowledge your complaint, via letter or email, within five working days. We may want to give you a call to talk things through
- We'll investigate your complaint (may take up to 28 days)
- We'll write to you with our findings