Charging and subscription
I can't see the add to cart option. What am I doing wrong?
If you can’t see the add to cart option, it’s likely that your membership is due for renewal. You’ll need to begin the membership renewal process and add the CPD hub to your cart as follows:
- add your membership to the cart (see How to renew your membership online). Don’t continue through the basket to complete the booking just yet.
- go to the CPD hub and click on add to cart
- go to your cart in the top panel of the web page and you can complete all your subscriptions at the same time
Why am I not being charged the full £25?
Your initial subscription to the CPD hub is based on the number of months left until your membership renewal. For example, if you only have three months left until your renewal, you’ll only pay for three months access on a pro-rata basis of the current CPD hub fee. You’ll be able to renew your CPD hub subscription when you renew your membership.
Why does it show ‘your price’ as £49.99 for me?
We have an issue where your price on the CPD hub main page is currently showing as £49.99 for some reduced fee and student members. If you see this, please ignore it. We’re working on a fix and apologise for any confusion.
When you add the CPD hub to your cart, the system will automatically calculate the number of months left until your membership renewal and display the correct cost (as a pro-rata of the £25 yearly price).
Can I add the CPD hub to my monthly Direct Debit?
You can pay in the following ways:
- I’m signing up for the first time – you can pay one lump sum by credit or debit card online
- I’m adding the CPD hub to my membership renewal – if you already pay for your membership by Direct Debit, you can add the CPD hub subscription to your monthly payments. Alternatively, you can pay by credit or debit card for your membership and hub access in one go. If you'd like to start paying by direct debit, please contact us.
- I’ve just renewed my membership and now I’d like to re-subscribe, or purchase access for the first time - you can pay one lump sum by credit or debit card online
I thought I had seen that the price was going up in January 2019, do I have to pay more now?
The price of the CPD Hub was intended to increase in January 2019, however we've taken on board your feedback, and have kept the annual subscription cost for the CPD Hub at £25 including VAT for 2019 (the price will still be calculated as a pro-rata when you initially sign up. See 'Why am I not being charged the full £25?').
How many times can I view the content in the CPD hub?
While you have a subscription to the CPD hub, you can view the content as many times as you wish.
Problems accessing the content
How do I access the content now I've subscribed?
The resources are grouped into topics which are listed on the main CPD hub page.
Just click on the topic you want to view. (You'll need to log in - if you haven't already.) All the resources available for that topic will be listed on the page.
Alternatively, you can search for resources in the website's main search bar under Articles and guidance.
I keep being asked to log in or sign up even though I already have.
There's currently an issue with the log in. We're working to resolve this and apologise for any inconvenience.
You can tell if you're already logged in, as you’ll see My account rather than Log in at the top of the web page.
Try the steps below until the error message disappears:
- if you're on a pc or laptop, select the Ctrl and F5 keys at the same time – this will force a refresh of the page
- close your web browser (the internet) completely, reopen it and follow the how to access the CPD hub content instructions again
- completely clear the cache on your computer - you can find out how to do this on the Refresh your cache website.
- close your computer or device completely and restart it. Then reopen the internet and follow the how to access the CPD hub content instructions again.
Are the resources accessible?
Yes, all CPD hub videos are subtitled and all audio recordings have a downloadable transcript.
To see the subtitles, play the video. Hover your cursor over the video player and select the square icon next to the progress bar. Select English from the options displayed.
We've identified an issue with our subtitle service. Some video subtitles are not working correctly at this time. Please bear with us whilst we work to resolve this problem, which we will aim to do as quickly as possible. In the meantime we apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Can I use the videos I watch, or the recordings I listen to, for my CPD record?
Yes, all CPD hub content can count towards your annual continuing professional development (CPD). You can download a CPD certificate for each presentation from the Further Resources section at the bottom of each page.
We don’t print hours on our CPD certificates. We use an outcomes based approach to CPD, and each element of the CPD resource is reflective. You can reflect on the outcomes, what you've learned and how this will help you develop as a practitioner, and record this on your CPD log accordingly.
Playing the videos
The video stream keeps stopping and starting (buffering)
There can be several reasons for this. Even the best broadband speed can vary dramatically over time due to:
- other people in your household overloading your router by streaming, downloading or simply browsing the web
- neighbours with the same internet provider using the internet heavily - this can be particularly noticeable at peak times
- the current status of your service provider
- the current status of your computer or device.
As buffering issues are caused by your local broadband connection, or the device you are using to access the content, they are outside of our control. We can only offer tips and advice on how to combat the problems. We hope these tips will be helpful.
Can I change to a different stream quality?
Play the video and hover your cursor over the video player. The progress bar will appear at the bottom of the video.
Click on HD (High Definition quality). This will switch the quality of the video to SD (Standard Definition quality), which will have less of a demand on your internet connection.
What things can affect the quality of videos in the CPD hub?
Watching Netflix or a similar streaming service, downloading software or apps, online gaming or even just browsing the web could affect the stream.
Check to see if other devices in your household are using your internet connection at the same time. More devices will consume the bandwidth of the connection. (Bandwidth is the maximum amount of usage that your internet connection can handle at any one time.)
Many home internet routers cannot handle more than a couple of devices at a time and can quickly become overloaded if a household is using many devices (smartphones, tablets, laptops, desktops, smart TVs or similar).
Check that your router can cope with multiple device usage, or disconnect any devices that are not required during the stream.
Is internet speed important?
Low internet speed can cause buffering.
We recommend a minimum internet speed of at least 5 Megabits per second. You can test your connection speed (you need to check the download speed).
Contact your internet service provider if you're unsure about your internet speed, if you think your connection is slower than expected, or if you experience any other issues with your internet connection.
Do I need to update my browser or any plugins?
If you're unsure how to update your browser, you can find tutorials online via a Google search.
Do I need to update my anti-virus protection?
Out of date anti-virus software can affect the performance of your device.
Make sure that you regularly update your software to ensure your computer or device is properly protected.
Is there anything else that can affect the stream?
Make sure that the device you're using to access the video content isn't running any updates, and close any non-essential programmes while watching the stream.
Watching videos using the internet will use your device's resources. If it's running a lot of programmes or systems in the background, this could cause buffering issues.
These FAQs provide links to external websites. We are not responsible for the content of any external linked site, any link within that site or any transmission received from that site. We provide the links to assist members and the inclusion of a link does not imply that we endorse or approve the linked site.