We're committed to encouraging the best possible research for the benefit of our clients and the widening range of counselling professions, including coaching, mentoring and pastoral care.
We actively value different approaches to research, promoting dialogue and collaboration across different research traditions.
These guidelines should be read alongside the Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions. They apply to any quantitative or qualitative research that falls within the Ethical Framework definition of ‘a systematic enquiry or experiment to advance knowledge’.
These guidelines may also be referenced in the Professional Conduct Procedure to consider in any issues arising from research undertaken by BACP members.
2. Ethical principles and research
3. Research integrity
4. Safety and managing the risks of research to participants, the public and the researcher
5. Relationships and communication with research participants
6. Vulnerability in research participants
7. Research ethics review and research governance
8. Online research
9. Trainee and student researchers
10. Ethical problem-solving in research
12. Resources and further reading