These revised terms and conditions came into effect on 1 December 2022.
They are provided here for information only. If you are eligible to join the Register, or need to renew your registration, you should log into your member account where the terms and conditions will be available for you to sign.
If you wish to join the BACP Register, or retain your current registration, you will have to meet the entry requirements for the Register.
You will also agree to the following terms and conditions, which are set out below at numbers 1 to 17 and as may be varied from time to time.
Your initial application form for BACP membership contained a paragraph entitled 'Applicant’s Declaration and Signature' which you signed and returned to us and this is not affected by the terms and conditions of this contract.
Terms and conditions
- I confirm that the information provided by me in my BACP Membership Application Form and in my annual renewal of membership is accurate, is not subject to any alteration or change and that by signing the agreement and declaration at the end of these terms and conditions I confirm and agree that this is the position.
- I confirm and agree that I am in practice or have practised within the past three years.
You may refer to the Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions for guidance on the contexts relevant to being in practice (BACP, 2018)
The relevant extract is: ‘A practitioner is a member or registrant of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy who is providing therapeutically-informed services, particularly coaching, counselling, pastoral care, psychotherapy or using counselling skills. This includes being a supervisor, trainer, educator of practitioners, or researcher of any aspect of the counselling professions. (point 5, Key terms, Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions)
- I confirm and agree that I will abide by BACP's Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions and any amendment or variation that may be made to it and any other formal, written statements that BACP may make from time to time with regard to ethical practice and I also confirm and agree that I am bound by and accountable to the BACP Conduct Procedures.
- I confirm and agree that I will ensure that my personal details are kept up to date, including the address details for my main therapeutic work.
You can update your details by logging in to your member profile on the website and going to ‘Edit personal details’.
- I confirm and agree that I will ensure that I have professional indemnity insurance in place sufficient to my area or areas of practice and will, if requested, provide evidence of my insurance details.
Registered members must ensure that they are covered by adequate indemnity insurance for all areas of their work. It is advisable for registrants in employment to check that the employer or employers' indemnity insurance fully covers counselling and psychotherapy.
- I confirm and agree that I will ensure that I undertake and record continuing professional development (CPD) in line with the Register's requirements and will abide by and fully cooperate with the Register's CPD audit procedure, as may be varied from time to time.
Find out more information about the Register’s requirements for CPD
- I confirm and agree that I will ensure that I have appropriate supervision in place and will abide by and fully cooperate with the Register's supervision audit procedure, as may be varied from time to time. If I am an accredited member I further confirm that my supervision or consultancy arrangements are or were appropriate to my caseload and constituted a minimum of 1½ hours per month.
Find out more information about the Register’s requirements for supervision
- I confirm that I understand that a staff member of the Register team may make contact with my supervisor or supervisors to confirm that I have appropriate supervision in place. I understand that I am responsible for letting my supervisor know that the Register team may make contact and will notify BACP if my supervisor is unable to comply with any such request. I agree to provide the details of my supervisor or supervisors, and give authority to that supervisor or supervisors to disclose such information that may be required and I further give full and complete authority to the Register team to contact that supervisor or supervisors to request such information as may be required in accordance with the supervision audit protocol.
- I confirm and agree that I will declare any issues relating to character and suitability that may affect my practice at the point of registration or during the period of registration.
- I confirm that I understand that any matter relating to me considered under the professional conduct procedures may be disclosed to relevant parties where it is in the public interest or where it is required for BACP to meet our obligations to the Professional Standards Authority.
- I confirm that I understand that failure to comply with the Register audit process could result in my removal from the Register and BACP membership.
- I confirm that I understand and agree that withdrawal of registration as a result of a professional conduct outcome or failure to comply with the audit requirements will result in the removal of my name from the Register.
- I confirm that I understand and agree that if I am suspended, sanctioned or a decision is upheld against me as a result of a professional conduct process it will result in a notification on the Register against my name.
- I confirm that I understand, that if I am subject to any sanction, suspension or withdrawn from the Register as a result of a professional conduct outcome the decision will be published, in accordance with the BACP Publication Policy. I also understand that BACP will notify other relevant bodies of professional conduct outcomes including those accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
- I confirm that I am aware that the Register is accessible to the public and as such I agree that information regarding my name, geographical location (town or city and first part of the postcode) of my main therapeutic work, registration number, membership status is publicly visible.
- I confirm that the information contained in this form is true, accurate and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief.
- I further confirm and agree that if there are any changes to my practice information, including any declarations I will formally notify BACP immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.