If you wish to join the BACP Register, or retain your current registration, you will have to meet the entry requirements for the Register and agree to the following terms and conditions, which are set out below at numbers 1–15 and as may be varied from time to time.
Your initial application form for BACP membership contained a paragraph entitled 'Applicant’s Declaration and Signature' which you signed and returned to us. The terms and conditions set out below do not replace the matters referred to under the heading 'Applicant’s Declaration and Signature' and are in addition to them.
Terms and conditions
I confirm that the information provided by me in my BACP Membership Application Form and in my annual renewal of membership is accurate, is not subject to any alteration or change and that by signing the agreement and declaration at the end of these Terms and Conditions I confirm and agree that this is the position.
I confirm and agree that I am in practice or have practised within the past three years.You may refer to the Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions for guidance on the contexts relevant to being in practice (BACP, 2018)
The relevant extract is: ‘A practitioner is a member or registrant of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy who is providing therapeutically-informed services, particularly coaching, counselling, pastoral care, psychotherapy or using counselling skills. This includes being a supervisor, trainer, educator of practitioners, or researcher of any aspect of the counselling professions. (p5, Key terms, Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions)
- I confirm and agree that I will abide by BACP's Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions and any amendment or variation that may be made to it and any other formal, written statements that BACP may make from time to time with regard to ethical practice and I also confirm and agree that I will abide by the Professional Conduct Procedure.
- I confirm and agree that I will ensure that my personal details are kept up-to-date, including all my employment information.
You can update your details by logging in to your member profile on the website and going to ‘Edit personal details’.
- I confirm and agree that I will ensure that I have adequate, current and ongoing professional indemnity insurance sufficient to my area(s) of practice.
Registered members must ensure that they are covered by adequate indemnity insurance for all areas of their work. It is advisable for registrants in employment to check that the employer’s(s’) indemnity insurance fully covers counselling and psychotherapy. (GP19 Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions)
- I confirm and agree that I will ensure that I undertake and record continuing professional development (CPD) in line with the Register's requirements and will abide by and fully cooperate with the Register's CPD audit procedure, as may be varied from time to time.
Find out more information about the Register’s requirements for CPD
- I confirm and agree that I will ensure that I have appropriate supervision in place and will abide by and fully cooperate with the Register's supervision audit procedure, as may be varied from time to time. If I am an accredited member I further confirm that my supervision or consultancy arrangements are or were appropriate to my caseload and constituted a minimum of 1½ hours per month.
Find out more information about the Register’s requirements for Supervision
- I confirm and agree that I will notify my supervisor(s) that the Registrar of the BACP Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (hereinafter referred to as the Registrar) may make contact to confirm that I have appropriate supervision in place. I hereby agree, if requested, to provide the Registrar with details of my supervisor(s), who may be contacted and I agree to give authority to that supervisor(s) to disclose such information that the Registrar may require and I further hereby give full and complete authority to the Registrar to contact that supervisor(s) to request such information as may be required in accordance with the supervision audit protocol.
- I confirm and agree that I will declare any issues relating to character that may affect my practice.
You may refer to the Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions for guidance on the contexts relevant to being in practice (BACP, 2018). The relevant extract is: ‘. We will promptly notify this Association about any criminal charges or disciplinary procedures brought against us. We will also notify this Association of civil claims arising from work in the counselling professions, or if we have been declared bankrupt.’ (GP47, Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions)
You may also refer to the Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions regarding working to professional standards and taking care of self as a practitioner. (GP18, GP91 Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions)
I confirm and agree that I understand that professional conduct details will be disclosed to relevant parties where deemed necessary or obligatory.
I confirm, acknowledge and agree that if I am removed from the Register my removal from the Register will be published and further that it may be appropriate in circumstances for the Disclosure and Barring Service and Disclosure Scotland and/or other relevant authorities and employers, if applicable, to be notified.
I confirm that I understand and agree that withdrawal and/or suspension of registration as a result of professional conduct proceedings or failure to comply with the audit requirements will result in the withdrawal or suspension of my accreditation and the removal of my name from the Register. This may also result in the termination of my membership of BACP.
I confirm that I am aware that the Register is accessible to the public and as such I agree that information regarding my name, geographical location, registration status, membership status and professional conduct sanctions is freely available.
I confirm that any information that I have given is truthful and that I have provided full, frank and complete disclosure of all matters that may be relevant to the Registrar in determining whether I should be registered or retain registration on the Register.
I further confirm and agree that if there are any changes to any of the information I have given I will notify the Registrar immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01455 883300.
The terms and conditions are provided here for information only. If you are eligible to join the Register, or need to renew your registration, you should log into your member profile where the terms and conditions will be available for you to sign.